Monday 1 April 2013

Sowing seeds of love, with random acts of kindness

   
     Waking this morning to greet a new day, my mind was filled with the thoughts of this prayer-poem I'd learned as a child while at school: 


Father, I thank You for the night, 

And for the pleasant morning light, 

For rest and food and loving care, 

And all that makes the day so fair. 

Help us to do the things we should, 

To be to others kind and good. 

In all we do in work or play, 

To grow more loving every day.   


     In my era, it was not unusual to find such encouraging poems and character-building thoughts throughout our school textbooks. 
     Looking back, I'm sure it helped to shape this young child's values and outlook on life. Treating others as you would wish to be treated, often dubbed, "The Golden Rule", it was taught in the classroom and in my home as well.
     While there is more kindness around us than I can ever imagine, every day there are still more opportunities for us to make a positive impact in someone's life. 

     The idea of practising random acts of kindness has been around for awhile, and what a great idea it is! 


     Wikipedia defines "a random act of kindness" as follows:  

... a selfless act performed by a person or people wishing to either assist or cheer up an individual person or people". 


     Doing small acts of kindness is a contagious thing and it gives one an incredibly great feeling when doing something for another human being. I think it was part of the plan, when we humans were created; to live and share together on this, our great earth.
     During this past Christmas season, a heart-warming story appeared in our community paper. It told of a dear soul, who was recovering from an operation, unable to work, and with no prospects of being able to make her monthly rent. While sitting in her wheelchair in a line-up at the food bank, she was surprised with an anonymous present. 

     Quite unexpectedly, it appeared an angel seemingly appeared from out of thin air, disappearing just as swiftly after shoving an envelope into the woman's hand. Looking inside, she found it held 10 fifty dollar bills. Happening ever so quickly, she was unable to learn just who her benevolent donor was.

     She was overcome with gratitude, and I'm sure, felt some temporary relief. We may never be able to carry out that kind of random act, but, opportunities abound to offer a blessing upon someone's life — either spontaneous or planned. We just need to be aware of those human beings that have been placed around us. 
     I purpose to do at least one kindness for someone each day—  to make their walk on this earth a tad easier.
I like to call it, scattering little seeds of love as I proceed along my own journey.


     For more, click on the link http://www.blurb.ca/books/3940439-seeds-of-love and scroll to page 34 to read a short story titled Bookmarked for life, from my autobiography called, Seeds of Love: one woman's story of her life, love and legacy.

— beulah

3 comments:

  1. Doris Galbraith -
    What a wonderful story and a wonderful way to live! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita Sowden Tried leaving a message on Beulah's blog but I couldn't since I didn't have an account. Would you let her know we are just loving her posts! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey mom, Tracy posted this on Facebook today after reading your blog. Tracy is a mom at Westmount.
    Tracy Schmidt
    I was fortunate enough to read someone's blog on Random Acts of Kindness. Today I helped two elderly ladies find things at walmart.. Sure made me feel good!


    You and 7 others like this.

    Darcy Kerr They were just trying to find there way out!
    7 hours ago · Like

    Kimberly Peacher Hunka Helping the elderly is a great feeling and let's face it in a few short years we will be there ourselves...
    50 minutes ago via mobile · Like

    Carolyn Owens Eagles I will pass that on to my mother in law - she will be so thrilled!
    43 minutes ago · Like


    ReplyDelete