Tuesday 25 June 2013

Ode to teachers and tin dippers

School days, School days, 

Dear old golden rule days. 

Readin' and Writin' and 'Rithmetic, 

Taught to the tune of a hickory stick. 

You were my queen in calico, 

I was your bashful, barefoot beau. 

You wrote on my slate, "I love you, Joe, 

When we were a couple of kids.     


     Once again, another school year has ended, and a brief vacation from the books is here. For some, it is the end of formal study, as proudly, graduation certificate in hand, they are ready to face what life offers. Others look forward with great anticipation to future studies as they plan their life's career. 
     
     Students of every age eagerly welcome the freedom of care-free summer fun. But, now, accolades are in order for those teachers, who because of their dedication, love and perseverance, have helped the many students reach their goals. 
     
     Teaching, being my career for many years, the following excerpt from the 1951 edition of the National Education Association Journal, best describes how I felt about my chosen profession, and no doubt, many teachers today would share my view: 

     "As I compare my life with the lives of people I know in other fields, I feel I have something that many of them envy. Teaching has given me a sense of direction, a sense of my own value in the world, and a sense of continuing growth. Teaching is more than just a way to earn a living, it is a way of life.  It is a good life."   

A Smile for Today: 


School Excuses from Parents 

     The following is a list of actual written excuses given to teachers in the Albuquerque Public School System by parents of students:  

1. My son is under the doctor's care and should not take fizical ed. Please execute him. 
2. Chris will not be in school because he has an acre in his side. 
3. Please excuse Ray Friday from school. He has very loose vowels. 
4. Please excuse Blanche from jim today. She is administrating. 
5. Please excuse Pedro from being absent yesterday. He had diah (crossed out) diahoah (crossed out) dyah (crossed out) the sh*ts.       


A Teacher's Prayer  

     Lord, help me to make of my classroom a place where love and learning come to life. 
     Guide me in all that I do that I may strive not so much to teach as to awaken, not so much to instruct as to inspire.   
     Save me from the complacency of ready-made answers by an ever present sense of the wonder of your creation. 
     Above All, help me to give my students love-a love gentle enough to touch, but firm enough to leave them room to grow. 
     And help me to give it now — that they may share it with a world in need of love.     


     "Remember that childhood is that wonderful, special classroom in which the adult is developed."      



     "I saw tomorrow look at me from the little children's eyes, and I thought, 'How carefully we'd teach, if we were really wise.'"


     


     Growing up in the country, my elementary grades took place in a one room school house. I also taught in a one room country school, so I can certainly relate to the following poem.                        



The Tin Dippers



It hung on a pail that stood on a stool

By the door of an old-time country school.

And the water it dipped was cool and sweet,

Fresh as mountain dew in the schoolroom's heat.

It's handle was long, it's cup was battered,

But to shoving children all that mattered

Was the clear cool drink that would quench the thirst

Of the lucky youngster who reached it first.

And never was water so good, so cool,

As dipped from the pail at that old-time school.

Along with the schoolhouse of another day,

The common tin dipper has passed away.

But on warm still days it is good to think

Of that old tin dipper's refreshing drink,

From the shining pail on a wooden stool

By the door of an old-time country school.


— beulah

No comments:

Post a Comment