Monday 5 August 2013

Rhythms of life



           "Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back up."  



     Old people are beautiful. It is the old apple trees that are decked with the loveliest blossoms. It is the ancient redwoods that rise to majestic heights.


     It is the old violins that produce the richest tones. It is the aged wine that tastes the sweetest. It is the ancient coins, stamps and furniture that people seek. It is the old friends that are loved the best. 

I believe that statement rings true.  

     The T.V., newspapers and magazines are chock-full of suggestions as to how we might reverse the clock on life, and unlock the secrets of anti-aging. When will they accept the fact "it is a natural rhythm of life?"   
     

     "Though my hair has turned all white, and my skin no longer fits, on the inside, I'm the same old me,  just the outside's changed a bit."

     

     Having just returned from a weekend away visiting some of my longtime, cherished friends, I realize I need to face the fact that, I, too, fit somewhere under that title, "Old People." 

     Of course, it is also a matter of perspective. I was again reminded of the role each of these dear people had throughout the different seasons of my life. 


     
     Marjorie, whose 90th birthday I went to celebrate, was the good friend who helped me adjust to west coast living, during those early months and years of marriage.      
     Margaret, a once loving, caring individual whose only mandate in life was seeking the good of others, now lies helpless, her body over-taken by a stroke. What a spiritual mentor and godly influence she has been in my life. 
     

     
     Gladys, with her musical talent, became an eager participant and encourager in helping make our O.K. Valley Singers' ministry so successful. 
     
     Florence, with her Okanagan hospitality, greeted us with a willingness to help make those years of our ministry to seniors, so worthwhile. Though all these folk are no longer nearby, they will always be, my forever friends. 
     
     Now, I try to pass along to others, the friendship blessings I have had and still enjoy. I try to keep my eyes wide open for that lonely individual who may cross my path — that someone who may just need a friendly smile and a caring touch. 


     "The perfect age is... somewhere between old enough to know better, and too young to care."  

 
     "Eventually you will reach a point when you stop lying about your age and start bragging about it."


— beulah

No comments:

Post a Comment