Saturday 27 June 2015

Live life to the fullest


"Wonder awaits a young child at every turn."   


     I recently spent a weekend visiting my two amazing, great granddaughters, Evelyn Jane, just over three and one-half years, and Melissa Noelle,  that just turned one year. 

     Her birthday celebration was the important occasion of my visit. Having worked with many children over the years during my career as a teacher, I still never cease to be amazed and fascinated with each individual personality. 

     
     
Beulah with her great granddaughters Melissa Noelle (centre) and Evelyn Jane.
 I have found there are important lessons I can learn from observing them. When Jesus was asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" 


     He called to Him a little child and said, "Unless you become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 18:1-4). 

     As my desire is to enter the kingdom of heaven when I leave this world, I need to seriously consider just what Jesus meant. 

     As we grow physically from dependence to independence, we are told to grow up and out of childlikeness, believe it to be a mark of immaturity. 

     But Jesus said the opposite is true, as spiritually, we are to grow into a childlike trust and dependency upon our Heavenly Father, which is actually a mark of maturity. 

     As a good father loves and cares for his child, even more so our Abba Father greatly loves His children and wants them to come to Him with their every need. 

     It was pleasingly obvious to me that these two siblings had already found their comfortable place in their family, secure in the love and care surrounding them. 


     Both Evie and Melissa showed they were totally trusting and dependent upon their parents. Should they have a need, they knew Mom or Dad would be ready to help. 

     Children humbly acknowledge they can't always do it alone so willingly ask for help. What a lesson in humility for us as God's children.  

     Children possess many beautiful qualities. Life to them is an adventure as their innocence, curiosity and spontaneity awakens a sense of wonder to the world around them. 

     
     Children see beauty in the dandelion which to adults is a mere pesky weed. 


     It's been said, "One man's weed is a little boy's flower." 

God, "has created everything for us to enjoy." (1 Timothy 6:17). 

     
     Children have eyes to see and appreciate the little things in God's beautiful creation. 

     Much of living life to children is fun, as they find joy and interest in people or things around them. 

     I believe our Heavenly Father is pleased when He sees His grown-up children having fun also, full of joy with each moment. 

     
Children are like human sponges, absorbing much of what is surrounding them. 


     What a valuable time to begin planting God's Word in their hearts and minds, as they later grasp the truth and wisdom of what they learned earlier. 

     This seems to be already happening in this family as Evie was overheard saying, "I'm learning lots about God."  

     And, "We go to church so we don't forget God."  

     Truly, out of the mouth of babes!  

     So, if growing into childlikeness is the key to entering God's kingdom He has prepared for me, what then is the deliberate response I need to make? 

     Am I lacking a humble spirit, and am I too independent and self-sufficient to call on God for help? 

     Or, am I learning daily to trust my "Abba" for my every need? 

     There is still a child in each of us. But, do I need to recapture that spontaneity, sense of wonder and adventurous awareness of His Presence moment by moment? 

     Do I approach each day as another gift, eyes wide-open to see and appreciate the beauty in people and things around me? 

     
     Someone wisely put it this way, "Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt and dance like you do when no one is watching." 

     In other words, "Live life to the fullest."       

— beulah     



     During my recent visit to the Coast I had the privilege of once again seeing the house where I first came to live as a new bride, 63 years ago this August 2nd, at 3933 Frances Street, North Burnaby. 
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment