Saturday 14 November 2015

Taking inventory, a look back at the year

     
     Entering this month of November, I found myself recalling my surprised and eventful cancer journey that began exactly one year ago this month. 


     The miraculous, speedy and complete healing I experienced from a "highly aggressive, invasive, adenocarcinoma type of cancer, still leaves me in complete awe! 


     The perfect timing, fast co-operation of the doctors and the surgeon involved, (having learned there was no need of follow-up treatments) — I attribute to the many prayers of my concerned family and friends. 

     For some reason, known only to the Great Physician and Healer, He chose to heal this child of His and extend her days on earth. 
  

     Looking back, I am glad for the experience, as it has helped me to take inventory of my life. Each new day is very precious which I try not to take for granted. 


     Continuing on through this journey called life, we never know what new experience may be awaiting us, just around the corner. 

     This November finds me facing the fact that my "aging ears" need a little help. In all fairness to my family especially, I went for a hearing test that I have been "putting on the back burner," as I tried to convince myself there was no need.  

     Now, I am sporting small, silver grey, latest technology, unobtrusive hearing "gadgets," designed to make my world, better for me and my family. 

     It will soon be known if shrinking my bank account was worth it. 


     Entering the world of many, young and old, in similar situations, I will now be more sympathetic as the following poem reminds us.    



     A Prayer For One Who Is Going Deaf    

O God, 
  
     The trouble about going deaf is that most people find deaf folks a nuisance. They sympathize with people who are blind and lame, but they get irritated and annoyed with people who are deaf. 

     And the result of this, is that people who are deaf are apt to avoid company, and get more and more shut-in. 

     Help me now that my hearing has begun to go. Help me face the situation and realize that there is no good way to hide it. Trying will only make matters worse. 

     Help me to be grateful for all that can be done for people like me. If I have to wear a hearing aid, help me to do so naturally, and not be embarrassed. 

     Give me the perseverance not to let this trouble get me down. Don't let it cut me off from others. 

     And help me to remember, Lord, whatever happens, nothing can stop me from hearing Your voice.    


— William Barclay








beulah

No comments:

Post a Comment