Sunday 6 March 2016

Family: the building blocks of society

     Recently, I had the privilege of making and serving dinner to several of my family members. As always, I was delighted in seeing eight of us chatting happily around my dining room table. 


     Our Heavenly Father designed us to enjoy family and community and to benefit from each other. We need to remember that the family is, without a doubt, the basic unit of society through which not only every individual is to be blessed, but by which every generation is raised, and upon which every nation is built. 

     Keeping our families in tact is important.  


     Many families have a secret recipe, or a unique way of cooking a dish that makes it especially tasty, perhaps handing it down from one generation to another. 

     Throughout my busy life of parenting, meanwhile carrying on a career, unique styles of cooking was not on the top of my priority list. 

     However, a few of our family meals came to mind as I chose our old family favourite, Spare Ribs Aloha.
 

     A very simply made but tasty dish! 


     The comments and accolades I overheard during our meal, assured me it was a success. How gracious of my family to encourage this aging Great Grandma by reassuring her that she can still "serve up a winner!" 

     There's a saying, "Thankfulness is the soil in which joy thrives." No doubt, much more would be accomplished in the workplace and happier attitudes shared, if recognition of work well-done, was given more freely by management. 

     Everyone's efforts need to be appreciated and appropriately thanked. So, who is in our life today that we can take time to thank?  

     
        I appreciated the nice comment made by my new grandson-in-law, Tyler. Giving me that usual, warm hug, he then made a lovely observation on what I was wearing. 
     I thought, "How insightful and gracious!" No doubt Sarah is enjoying lots of loving compliments every day. 

    Way to go, Tyler!  

     Even though my family may use the convenience of social media in their cooking, I can only imagine they will "dig up" from time-to-time, one of my "tried and true" recipes.  


     Even more important than remembering Great Grandma's recipes, is the legacy of faith I entrust to them. 

     God intends that every generation will share with the next generation about the mighty acts of God. "One generation commends (God's) works to another," as quoted by the psalmist. (Psalm 145:4).  

     "...Remember the days of old...ask your father and he will tell you, your elders, and they will explain to you." (Deuteronomy 37:7).    

     
      Margaret Thatcher, former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, once said, "The family is the building block of society. It is a nursery, a school, a hospital, a leisure centre, a place of refuge and a place of rest." 

     Let's work on making ours — just that.


— beulah

No comments:

Post a Comment