Saturday 21 January 2017

Making accommodations for snow days

     
     “God’s voice thunders in marvellous ways; he does great things beyond our understanding. He says to the snow, ‘Fall on the earth, and to the rain shower, ‘Be a mighty downpour,’ so that all men he has made may know his work.”   

— Job 37:5-7    


     Okay then, knowing who sends it, and though we think, "... enough is enough!”, we might as well enjoy the quiet, white beauty surrounding us. 

     But during some of our extreme cold and nasty storms, I often thought of the homeless and how they were coping. I am grateful for those organizations, who help, and I try to remember to support them.  

     Awhile ago, I read of how a certain area of Vancouver have a new way in helping the homeless people find nighttime accommodations. 


     A local charity, Raincity Housing, has created specialized benches that convert into temporary shelters. The back of the bench pulls up to create a roof that can shield a person from wind and rain. At night, these sleeping spaces are easy to find because they feature a glow-in-the-dark message that reads: THIS IS A BEDROOM. Sounds like a great idea!  

          Snow days, when school gets cancelled, is always a fun time for kids. 


     Recently, passing a local school, I saw children enjoying their outdoor breaks in the snow, immediately bringing to my mind wintertime memories of my earlier teaching days. At the time, I was teaching kindergarten and later preschool. Helping the young ones take their winter togs off and on, was no small task! 

     This is why I can so relate to the following:  

A teacher was helping one of her Kindergarten students put on his winter boots. 
He asked for help and she could see why. 
Even with her pulling and him pushing, the little boots still didn’t want to go on. 
By the time they got the second boot on, she had worked up a sweat. 
She almost cried when the little boy said, “Teacher, they’re on the wrong feet.” 
She looked, and sure enough, they were. 
It wasn’t any easier pulling the boots off than it was putting them on. 
She managed to keep her cool as together they worked to get the boots back on, this time on the right feet. 
He then announced, “These aren’t my boots.” 
She bit her tongue rather than get right in his face and scream, “Why didn’t you say so?” like she wanted to. 
Once again, she struggled to help him pull the ill-fitting boots off his little feet. 
No sooner had they gotten the boots off when he said, “They’re my bother’s boots. My mom made me wear ‘em.” 
Now she didn’t know if she should laugh or cry. 
But, she mustered up what grace and courage she had left to wrestle the boots on his feet again. 
Helping him into his coat, she asked, “Now where are your mittens?” 
He said, “I stuffed ‘em in the toes of my boots.” 


     
     I’m sure I found myself in similar situations. 

     Being engaged in the lives of children was a part of God’s plan for my life for which I am forever grateful. Realizing the heavenly value Jesus puts on little children, could I have been directed to a greater career with a more lasting influence? 

     Why did Jesus say, “Let the little children come to me?” Each of us has entered this world as a child. He became one himself. Many children are mentioned throughout the Scriptures. God intervened in the miracle story of the infant Moses, rescuing him from the Nile River for a great future plan. David, a shepherd boy, slayed the great giant and became King even though he seemed an unlikely candidate. Jesus used a boy’s lunch to feed many hungry people. 

     Children never ask to be born. I’ve read that, “130 million are born into this world annually, another 46 million are aborted worldwide. In every continent, they are precious in His sight, even those many who are grief-stricken, innocent victims of war and abuse. 

     Jesus, when asked by his disciples, “Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven?” answered…"Unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.”  (Matthew 18: 1-3). 

     As we observe children, we see their simple, child-like acceptance and faith, trusting by nature, helpless, but ready and eager to depend on their loving parent. What a lesson for us!   

     
     In a lighter vein…. 

What Mom Taught Me 

     My mother taught me about time travel"If you don't straighten up, I’m going to knock you into the middle of next week.”   

My mother taught me stamina"You’ll sit there ‘till that spinach is finished.”  

     My mother taught me about the circle of life…"I brought you into this world, and I can take you out.”  

     My mother taught me about behaviour modification…."Stop acting like your father.”  

     My mother taught me about anticipation…."Just wait until we get home."


beulah

No comments:

Post a Comment