Tuesday 26 September 2017

New growth always means change

     
     My calendar tells me summer has “got up and went”, as the crazy saying goes. It is no longer here, and we have entered what we call autumn — a precursor, no doubt, to chilly days of fall in the offing. 


     Gazing upon the mature maple tree which graces my front lawn, I am already seeing tinges of colour making their debut, throughout its branches. 


     Over the years I have enjoyed watching this stalwart tree grow. As it spread its arms heavenward, it created shade and beauty throughout the years. 

     It was a mere baby tree when we first moved here. Soon it became a regular pleasant perch for many birds to visit, even the noisy magpies. 

     My front lawn pleasantly surprised me this summer, as I began to see empty spots become a lovely green, just as a healthy lawn was supposed to look. 


     In short time, the leaves on my maple tree and the surrounding ones on my street, with their beautiful colours, will loose themselves from their security to form a carpet of colour below which will keep our groundskeepers busy for weeks. 


     I wonder how the tree feels when it knows it’s time for the “letting go” of their summer foliage. Do they know Jack Frost will touch them, and the autumn winds will arrive to toss them on the ground. 

     Changing of the seasons — all a part of the awesome plan of the Creator! 

     There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under heaven. (Ecclesiastes 3:11) 

     As I marvel at the beauty of the autumn season, I think, "Perhaps there’s a lesson here for me.” 


     The trees, each year, seem to readily allow the frost and winds to take their leaves which have been their vibrant, green covering throughout the lengthy spring and summer months. 


     Now, it appears that all is lost and the green growth is no more. Yet, though all looks barren, the wise trees know better. They know beyond a doubt, next spring's new growth will again re-appear. 

     I wonder, “How open am I to growth and change when it may be time for me to 'let go' of things in my life?” 


     New growth always means change. New relationships and experiences may just be waiting to allow me to grow in a different way. 


     I sincerely hope I will never become a staid, difficult, strong-willed, old lady — clinging to my old ways and ideas, when “new” may be so much better for me. 

     Jesus, just as You are Master of the Seasons, You are also Master of the Seasons of my Heart.   

     “…because you know that you also have a Master in heaven.” (Colossians 4:1) 

     I just need to keep my eye on the Master. 

     The following points to this wise truth: 

     A dog owner was attempting to teach his pooch obedience. He placed in front of the dog, some irresistible, tantalizing food item with the command not to touch. 

     
     Whenever the dog allowed his sight to be on the food, his urge was to immediately grab for it. 

     But hearing his master’s voice and looking on his master’s face, he suppressed the urge to touch the food. 

     A lesson for all of us?  I believe so.

     When we are exposed to unworthy temptations, we need to keep our eyes on the Master’s face.  

     My rant for today:

     I have been most interested in the Invictus Games that are presently being held. I admire Prince Harry’s compassion for all those wonderful war heroes that are being helped by these games. I am also pleased that Harry seems to have found someone he now doesn’t mind being seen in public with. 

     
     
     But Meghan, I so wish your mother had advised you on your coming out attire. Your choice may be considered the free, playful style of the day, but I say, "Not cool!”  

     Even when joining laid-back and down-to-earth Harry. 
He IS still Royalty, and deserves respect. I just  hope he wasn’t too embarrassed.  

     
     I’m sure many of you younger folk won’t agree, but then, that’s just my age showing!



— beulah

No comments:

Post a Comment