Monday 30 October 2017

The meaning of worship

     
     Having just returned from Sunday church, or as some might say from worship, I began musing just what that means.
 


     I have noticed over the years, that the meaning of the word worship has become quite limited. Most of us would probably say it is a gathering of Christians engaged in corporate worship in a church building. I’ve also heard others associating worship with the music part of the service that most churches engage in. 


     I think worship is a response to our knowledge of who God is. 


     I believe it can include our entire lives living daily in truth, and in an awareness of His Presence. 


     Realizing God as my loving Heavenly Father who watches over and cares for me, I often feel a response to reach out to Him in love and gratefulness. Perhaps that is worship. 



     We worship God with our words. Through singing, we “offer to God a sacrifice of praise — the fruit of our lips that openly confess His name.” (Hebrews 13:15). 

     This now-generation has introduced their own mode of worship, and rightly so. A new song genre so completely different than what we oldies developed our faith on. We have had to be accepting and to learn that church worship is never about us anyway! 


     I think we’ve had to lay down our preferences, concentrate on having an evangelistic heart as we consider and pray for this generation that is worshipping and finding God in their own way. 


     Music has been called “the language of the soul.” Someone has called the contemporary, spiritual songs prominent today, as a subjective worship of God, conveying hope, love, gratitude and praise. 

     Many of today’s praise songs are beautiful and uplifting, containing scriptural truths. I still appreciate the timeless hymns that contain objective truths about God — doctrinal in content, focused on the cross, resurrection, salvation, the Second Coming, etc. 


     Many of the truths in these old hymns have been filtered through our minds and settled in our hearts. 


     
     Once learned as a child or young person, who will ever forget them? I believe we also worship God with our works. 

     Hebrews 13:16 says, "And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.” 

     I don’t think I can emulate Jesus if I’m not a giver. So, we worship God in our giving… "as it is a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God.” (Philippians 4:18) 

     Worshipping God then, is the natural outflow of my heart, deepening and enriching my intimacy with God. I have found worship of God can take place anytime, anywhere, because buildings aren’t needed. 

     Nor are rituals or forms or liturgy. It can just happen anywhere and at any moment, as praise overflows from the deep places of our hearts! 

     That I believe is true worship.  How could it not be, as I considered, — “The Lord your God has blessed you in all the work of your hands. He has watched over your journey …the Lord your God has been with you, and you have not lacked anything.” (Deuteronomy 2:7).    

     On a lighter note… Fall is here and flu shots are being offered once again. My children will probably be relieved to hear their aging mom finally decided to go with the flow and offer my arm, after a hiatus of 11 years. 


     Could it be I’m getting wiser or finally accepting my age? The flu shot is no doubt the thing to do at any age. 



     My calendar is already marked with my schedule to help man the Salvation Army kettles for this upcoming Christmas Season. 


     Where did our year go? I hear snow is preparing to bless us here in the Okanagan later this week. 

     For now, beautiful, coloured leaves continue to fall. My lawn is a complete blanket of yellow! 

     My delightful, regular trek around the exterior of Glenmeadows, causes me to be in continual awe of the many shapes, sizes and multi-colours drifting down under my feet. Indeed, God’s beautiful handiwork!

— beulah

No comments:

Post a Comment