Sunday 17 June 2018

Celebrating family days: June birthday blessings

     

     



     “And what is so rare as a day in June? Then, if ever, come perfect days. . .”
— James Russell Lowell   


     I have always welcomed the month of June. Is it because it is filled with graduations, birthdays (at least in my family), Father’s Day, the entrance of summer with longer days and hopefully sunny ones, and also the beginning of holidays for many? 

     Perhaps my career as a teacher had much to do with my anticipation for its arrival. It was a signal that I was granted two months of holiday time. I seemed to be always ready for it! 

     Now, my thoughts are often with teachers as June arrives. They deserve an extended break. I recently returned from another weekend visit to Vancouver. Learning that my great-granddaughter, Melissa, had included this Gigi on her birthday guest list, how could I ignore such a request? 


     And what a delightful celebration it was!


Grandma Eagles.

Grandpa and Evelyn.
Grandma and Melissa.

Four-year-old Melissa.
     Family togetherness is all-important to Melissa’s family, so this birthday gathering consisted of 11 adults, the two girls making it all of 13 seated around  a lovely birthday table. 


     Four-year-old Melissa is getting to know and love her two sets of grandparents, aunties and uncles, while learning early the importance of the family bond. 

     Sister Evelyn, (seven years old in Oct.) graciously let her little sister be the “star of the day,” carefully assisting as she read each card’s message to her. 

     
Evelyn (right) reads messages in the cards to Melissa.
     I observed our four-year-old Melissa showing poise and sensitivity when hearing that a "Happy Birthday" phone message had arrived from her great Uncle Roger — her somewhat adult response, saying: “Well, that was nice of him!” 

     

     To have the privilege of celebrating birthdays with my great-grands is none other than an extended blessing from my Lord! 


     
Fran 
I think of my best friend, Fran, who in my early adult years, left us early to be with our Lord. 


     She did not get to experience the joy of grandchildren, but I’m sure the “exchange” made up for it. 

     June birthday blessings continue for me. I am looking forward to a birthday dinner at one of our favourite restaurants with granddaughter, Sarah, whose birthday was last weekend also. 

     
     
     Today, became a sombre day for many. Word came, that Canada’s highest court decided (7-2) against the christian university Trinity Western and their request that law societies across Canada accredit graduates of their proposed law school. 
     Losing such a case, the further participation of religious-grounded ideals in Canadian society will bring challenges. The Supreme Court of Canada has struck a blow to religious freedom in Canada by the decision that says, students who graduate from the law program at Trinity Western University would act in a discriminate manner toward LGBTQ rights. 

    Sadly, we are seeing increasingly that religious views are not respected in all areas of Canadian society. What has happened to the commitment of Canada’s founders who made Psalm 72:8 the motto of our land: “He shall have dominion from sea to sea,” and had it carved in stone at the entrance to our Houses of Parliament? 

     It seems our leaders from an earlier generation had respect, somewhat, and honour for God. 

     The following story is told of Rt. Hon. Alexander MacKenzie (1822-1892), Canada’s second prime minister from 1873 to 1878. 
  
     It is an excerpt from a blog post by the late David Mainse.

     “Prime Minister MacKenzie arrived at his office at 7 a.m. each morning. The prophet Daniel, MacKenzie’s political hero, prayed with his window open each day (Daniel 6: 10-13).   
     MacKenzie, with the door open and on his knees, would pray out loud for God’s blessings on Canada for a new day. This was repeated at noon and again before he left for home at 7:00 in the evening. 
     His staff, who were expected to arrive before him in the morning and leave after him at night, would gather around the door to listen to the Prime Minister pray. All Canadians need to know that this may be one of the main reasons why Canada has been so greatly blessed.” 



     However, though often ignored by our national leaders, there is a just God who reigns over the destiny of nations. 

     Jesus said,"In this world you will have have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” 
— John 16:33

     Recently, I have been reading Max Lucado's book, Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World, which I highly recommend. 

     The following is one of his meditation poems.   

     
Today, I will live today. 
Yesterday has passed. 
Tomorrow is not yet. 
I’m left with today. 
So, today, I will live today. 
Relive yesterday? 
No. I will learn from it. 
I will seek mercy for it. 
But I won’t live in it. 
The sun has set on yesterday. 
The sun has yet to rise on tomorrow. 
Worry about the future? 
To what gain? 
It deserves a glance, nothing more. 
I can’t change tomorrow until tomorrow. 
Today, I will live today. 
I will face today’s challenges with today’s strength. 
I will dance today’s waltz with today’s music. 
I will celebrate today’s opportunities with today’s hope. Today.







— beulah

No comments:

Post a Comment