Tuesday 22 October 2013

Letters to the editor

     
     Having returned from Sunday church, I am still pondering the pastor's sermon based on Luke 10: 38-42, where sisters Mary and Martha were having a debate regarding kitchen duty. 

   Jesus was a guest in Martha's home. Wanting everything to be just right, she was distracted by all the preparations. Upset that her sister Mary was not helping, she implored Jesus to intervene on her behalf. Jesus' short, but profound response, reminded Martha [and me] that we often get caught up doing many good things, but lose our focus on what really matters. 

     "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "You are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better..."  — (spending time developing her relationship with Jesus). Like the sisters, we all have different ways of expressing our love. Each of us are made differently, which determines our own unique way of relating to God. Over the years, I often felt akin to Martha, too concerned over unimportant details of life. 
     When I am focused on developing an all-consuming relationship with Jesus, my good works, like Martha's, will automatically flow over to my neighbour and fellow man. 
     So thanks, Pastor Tim, for the reminder! 
     My hour at church today was well spent.  We occasionally hear the comment, "Why should I attend church anyway? Isn't it a waste of time?" 
     Consider the following, and you decide. 

"Why Go To Church?"   

     A church-goer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and complained that it made no sense to go to church every Sunday. "I've gone for thirty years now," he wrote, "and in that time I have heard something like 3,000 sermons. But for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them. So, I think I'm wasting my time and the pastors are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all."   
     This started a real controversy in the "Letters to the Editor" column, much to the delight of the editor. It went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher. 
     "I've been married thirty years now. In that time my wife has cooked some 3200 meals. But, for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals. But I do know this... they all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my wife had not given me these meals, I would be physically dead today
     Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!"  

  
— Author Unknown.     

     Now, for a little Biblical humour:  

1. What do they call pastors in Germany? 

Answer: German Shepherds.  

2. What kind of a man was Boaz before he married Ruth? 

Answer: Ruthless. 

3. Which servant of God was the most flagrant lawbreaker in the Bible? 

Answer: Moses. He broke all ten commandments at once. 

4. What excuse did Adam give to his children as to why he no longer lived in Eden? 

Answer: Your mother ate us out of house and home. 

5. Why didn't they play cards on the Ark? 

Answer: Because Noah was standing on the deck. (Groan)

— beulah

No comments:

Post a Comment