Wednesday 17 July 2013

A day of rest for the heart


     

     It has been my habit throughout the years, to attend a place of worship when possible, each Sunday. This, being a priority in my family as I was growing up, it became a pattern during my adult years. The fourth commandment says, "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shall you labour and do all you have to do, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God."




— Exodus:20:8

     God himself, rested after his week of work, so why shouldn't we? Growing up in my family, it was the rule that no unnecessary work be done on Sunday. I recall being scolded if I was caught ironing my dress or some other task. Someone has called it, "a day of rest for the heart." 
     It makes sense, after a busy week of work, to refocus and recharge, physically and spiritually. God knew what we needed. But, more than abstinence from labour, I believe it is a day to honour God with a thankful heart, although this should be our natural way of living. Many folk observe Saturday as their Sabbath day of worship, while others in commemoration of Christ's Resurrection have Sunday, the first day of the week, as their Sabbath. Does it actually matter which day of the week we "set aside to honour Him"? 
     Last Sunday morning, I had a new experience of worship awaiting me. I had been invited by a family member to this little country church. None other than the quaint, Benvoulin Heritage Church, built in 1892, as the first Protestant church south of Vernon at that time, and now a Kelowna landmark. Quite impressive, with its Gothic Revival Architecture, based on a church in Aberdeen, Scotland. Surrounded by a yard of colorful flowers, lush, green grass, and stately, shade trees with its' old country welcome', I was momentarily taken back in time, to the little country church of my childhood. This building, popular for many community events, now, each Sunday, accommodates the Resurrection Anglican Community Church. 
     Although a slightly different way of worship than I am used to, yet, I found myself freely entering into Christ-centred praise and thanksgiving to our God, coming away truly blessed. 

     
     We are all created differently, with no two of us alike, thus, why we each find our own expression of worship. 


     How wonderful, then, when His children commune together, lifting praises of thanksgiving to our same, loving God and Heavenly Father.

— beulah

2 comments:

  1. Grandma,
    Krista and I just enjoyed reading your last blog about the little country church on Benvoulin Road. We agree that keeping a day of rest and worship is a good thing. It revives and refreshes our spirits; keeps us centred on what's truly important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this too, and there is a different kind of joy when we leave our established way of worship and join with others. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete