Friday 12 July 2013

Old-fashioned ways, still in style


     
     As we age and find ourselves in the golden years, we often have a tendency to look back with nostalgia and a longing for those simpler times. But, maybe we have forgotten that many of those happy, simpler times were also hard times. 

     I feel blessed to have lived long enough to have experienced both worlds. 



     I was born during the 1930s, in the prewar days and in the middle of what was known as the Great Depression.




     A severe worldwide economic downturn, its negative effects lasted until the end of the Second World War


     
     Daily life was hard and stressful for many, with no jobs and no bread for their families to eat. I know my family felt the effects of it all, but, even though I was from a large family, I don't ever recall being in want for the necessities of life. 

     After wartime, the economy brightened and life improved drastically for many. How then, was life simpler back then?  

     To me, life seemed slower paced and less hectic. Many of the conveniences we now enjoy were lacking back then, so, of necessity, people physically worked harder. They slept well and were generally happier. It seemed they were more satisfied with life. 
     

     Though times were hard, I believe, there was less pressure and stress, especially in the workplace. 


     "Things" were not as easily acquired as they are today, and so, perhaps, it's why many became satisfied with less.

     No easy credit or "plastic money" and therefore, fewer bills to pay. There was no paying "up front" for items, instead they saved up for big purchases.   


     There were fewer cars, so, less traffic — with one car per family, if that.  Without a doubt, the modern technologies, great inventions, and increased medical knowledge that have appeared during the past decades, have enhanced our way of living. It has changed our lives forever in amazing ways.  
     

     So, what do I miss from those "early days?"  Here are some "old-fashioned" things I do not wish to ever give up: 

1. Good manners and politeness (taught at home and at school). 

2. Respect for one's elders. 

3. Taking time for Sunday afternoon visits with family and friends. 

4. Good old-fashioned charm. 

5. Tea served in china cups. 

6. The art of conversation. 

7. Hand-written thank you cards and notes.

8. My word as my honour; keeping my promise. 

9. Being able to dial a telephone number and speak immediately to a person. 

10. Using a smiling bank teller for my banking.   




     "How our lives have changed, and how much we all take for granted."


— beulah



No comments:

Post a Comment