Thursday 28 March 2013

"Cluck, cluck", said the little red hen


    

"It's OK to look like a hobbit, when you're living in the Middle Ages."
     
     For some time now I've been pondering the expression,"to look your age". Just what does that really mean? How does one figure out how, or, what they're supposed to look like at a given age?
     While standing in line at the bank recently, I became convinced that my age is self-revealing. Waiting in the queue, I made a comment about recently celebrating a birthday.  A nearby male conversationalist picked up on my words and promptly proceeded to guess my age.  Very accurately I might say. He nailed it, dead on! 
     I'm sure it was my silverly white hair and facial laugh lines (some may mistake for wrinkles), that gave me away.
     Today's baby boomers, soon entering the "land of middle age" are being bombarded with all sorts of cosmetic tools to help them keep up a youthful appearance. 
     Their make-up bags bulge with containers of under-eye concealer, feather-proof lip liner, wrinkle erasers, micro-beads, and skin creams with impressive-sounding names. 
     

"Who was it that decided for us, that we have to work so hard to stay looking young?"


     After passing what has been dubbed the "hen house crisis", middle-agers will learn that aging gracefully and feeling comfortable doing it, works just fine. 
     I know I'm too old to be considered a young "chick" anymore; so I'll settle for being thought of as a "wise old hen". 

—  beulah


1 comment:

  1. A very beautiful "wise old hen" with savvy fashion sense :)

    ReplyDelete